Liverpool To Offer Sadio Mane A Bumper New Deal
Liverpool to reward Sadio Mane with bumper new deal
Mane, the Senegal forward, has made
giant strides since Liverpool paid
£30million to bring him from
Southampton
two summers ago; he still has three years
remaining on his current deal and is not
actively looking to improve his current
terms, which are thought to be close to
£100,000 per week.
But Liverpool, who extended the contracts
of Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino
earlier this year, have let Mane’s agent
Sasha Empacher they will have no
hesitation in re-writing and extending his
deal after he played such a crucial role as
Klopp’s side reached the Champions
League final.
Empacher, who also looks after Mane’s
new team-mate Naby Keita, was in New
Jersey last Wednesday to watch
Liverpool’s friendly against Manchester
City and met with both Klopp and Sporting
Director Michael Edwards.
There were stories in June that saw Mane
linked with a move to Real Madrid but
there was never any prospect of the 26-
year-old, whose value has rocketed, being
sold. Liverpool faced a saga 12 months
ago when trying to keep Philippe Coutinho
but Klopp feels the landscape has
changed.
‘This is what I have meant when I spoke
about the mood in the club – that's not
only in the stands,’ said Klopp, who has
taken a 29-man squad to France for a
training camp. ‘We are Liverpool as a
team
and the boys want to be part of it.
That's really cool and it's a big
achievement for the club. These boys –
Bobby Firmino, Mo Salah and Sadio Mane
– and a lot of the others as well, could
play
for pretty much any team in the world.
That's how it is and a good sign for the
club.
‘It is an improved situation that these
players don't use us and then go. It's cool
but now we all together have to deliver.
Sign your contracts but now, go again.
Play and fight, run and shoot, all that stuff.
That's football.’
Coutinho joined Barcelona in a deal worth
£146million in January. Liverpool tried to
bring Nabil Fekir from Lyon to be his
replacement in June but when that
transfer failed on medical grounds, Klopp
took stock and felt he had options within
to fill Coutinho’s void.
The biggest thing we did in the second
half of last season was that we didn't
need
to speak too much about Phil,’ said Klopp.
‘That wasn't clear in January. How could
we have known that? We wish him well.
We don't need to replace Phil. We need to
make a squad for the next year.
‘Out there on the market, there isn't a Phil
Coutinho-lite. It's not there. But there are a
lot of good players and we have brought a
few of them in.’
Post a Comment